Martin was born in Boston, Massachusetts, lived briefly in Houston, Texas, and raised in Charlotte since first grade. He attended Charlotte Latin School through 9th grade, before graduating from Myers Park High School. A 1992 graduate of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (BA, Psychology), he later received his MBA from the McColl School of Business at Queens University. Martin met his wife, Amy, at UNC, and the two have a daughter, Haley, who is a second year at the University of Virginia; and a son, Martin, Jr. who is a junior at Myers Park High School.
Martin began his career in executive recruiting in 1997, working with two retained search firms before joining Cameron Carmichael as an owner and Partner in 2011. Martin has built a track record of success working across all industry sectors served by Cameron Carmichael, with a particular focus supporting clients within the healthcare, private equity and complimentary sectors.
In addition to his professional activities, Martin serves on the Board of Visitors of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, as Board Chairman of The Dilworth Center, member of the Myers Park High School Mustang Club, and past member of the School Leadership Team. He is past-President of the Bridge Foundation as well as the Administrative Board and Staff Parish Relations Committee of Myers Park United Methodist Church. Martin has previously served in leadership positions on the boards of the McColl School of Business Graduate Alumni Association and the Arts & Science Council’s Annual Campaign Cabinet. Martin is an active member of the American College of Healthcare Executives and the North Carolina Hospital Association.
- I am a guitarist and singer with the local cover band, the Bad Daddies, which is about to celebrate our 20th anniversary.
- I have completed the Chicago Marathon twice, run several half marathons, a number of sprint triathlons and almost a decade worth of Blue Ridge Relays and Turkey Trots.
- I am a huge fan of Myers Park athletics, and have been the stadium announcer for Mustang soccer for five years.
- I enjoy reading, crossword puzzles, cooking, fly fishing, snow skiing, cross-fit, yoga and the Caribbean.
- I love to meet people and will talk with anyone, and tend to run into people I know in the most random of places.
- My spirit animal is the butterfly.
Why are you participating in this event?
I have very limited dance experience. My wife and I took shag lessons more than 20 years ago to prepare for a number of upcoming weddings. Other than that, I prefer helping others dance by playing music with my band.
I am committed to advancing the good work of the Dilworth Center, supporting its mission to serve those afflicted with alcoholism and addiction, as well as the families who are affected by this illness. The work of the Dilworth Center changes lives, and anything that I can do to raise awareness of its mission, or raise funds to help advance its mission, is an honor.